THE ULTIMATE CYCLING INSIDER CAMP. SUFCAMP SWITZERLAND :14-19 JUNE 2020
If you do only one cycling holiday in your life, let this be it. Hailed as a 'life changing' (really!) experience by SUFCamp Alumni, this is the camp for those who LOVE cycling. Once again, we're at the UCI World Cycling Centre in Aigle, Switzerland so you can live the life of a National Team Rider in one of the world's best cycling destinations.
We have just 18 spots on SUFCamp and riders of all levels and ages are welcome. This camp is NOT geared at hard-core racing cyclists. It's designed for those who want to experience and learn more about their sport and themselves so that they leave SUFCamp a smarter and better athlete.
Don't take our word for how special SUFCamp is, though. Have a read of "10 Things I Learned on SUFCamp"
WHY THIS IS ONCE IN A LIFETIME
THE UCI WORLD CYCLING CENTRE IS OUR BASE
Located in the headquarters of the sport’s governing body, this is where the world’s National Cycling Teams and most promising talents come to train and learn. And so it’s only right that we’re there, too. The UCI World Cycling Center, in the Lake Geneva region town of Aigle, Switzerland is our base. Chris Froome, amongst other, trained here, the velodrome is where a world hour record was set, there is a world-cup cyclo-cross circuit and the BMX track is a replica of Tokyo 2020. As you mix with the other athletes from around the world who are training for world and Olympic championships, look around: countless roads lead into the hills, mountains, down valleys and along rivers. It’s cycling paradise.
IT'S ABOUT RIDING, LEARNING AND HAVING FUN
Most camps are just about getting kilometers in legs. This is so much more. Our programme will not only get you fitter, but will make you a BETTER cyclist. We’ll be busy. Every day has four pillars:
- Fitness (endurance rides and workouts)
- Knowledge (classroom sessions and fitness tests)
- Skills (descending, climbing, bike handling as well as new bike experiences like track, cyclocross and BMX)
- Insights (exclusive, gourmet dinners and vineyard visits with cycling insiders from the UCI and beyond).
You won't be doing this alone, either -- you'll be surrounded by your fellow Sufferlandrians, who we all know are the most fun, positive and supportive people around. You're going to make some great friends on SUFCamp.
IT'S ACCESS TO THE ELITE OF WORLD CYCLING
Find yourself surrounded by the elite of cycling. Your Sufferlandrian National Team coach is Sir Neal Henderson, KoS. Neal coaching palmares includes 47 World Championships and he's currently the coach to Rohan Dennis, Kasia Niewadoma, Adam Hanson, Taylor Knibb and Tayler Wiles. He's worked with both the US National Team and BMC Pro Racing. He's badass and for this week, he's working for you. You’ll also have access to UCI World Cycling Center coaches from Road, Track, BMX and Cyclocross as well as the team of elite mechanics in the World Cycling Centre Service Course. Current and former pro cyclists, riders-in-residence and UCI Executive managers will join you for rides and meals to share their experiences with you. The Sufferfest™ CEO David McQuillen will be your host. You deserve nothing less.
YOU'RE A STAR. TIME TO GET TREATED LIKE ONE
This is the pro experience you deserve. Not only will you have world-class coaches at your beck-and-call, but you’ll be given exclusive national team kit, casual wear and accessories. All road rides will be fully supported by our exceptional team. You get your own private room in our luxury spa hotel and evening meals will comfort you as you learn about the inner workings of our sport from cycling insiders.
This is your chance to live, breathe and eat cycling. The schedule for 2019 will be similar to the one that has blown SUFCamp attendees away for the past three years. A chat with UCI executives? A fitness test with one of the world's best coaches? A ride with World Tour pro cyclists? Wine tasting in the middle of a vineyard surrounded by mountains? Track riding behind a derny? We’re still working on the final line up, but the details below give you an idea of the amazing experience we’re prepared for you.
- Arrival: You make your way by train to Aigle from whatever airport you fly into (we recommend Geneva – not least because the airport code is GVA). Check into our incredible hotel, the Grand Hotel des Bains in Lavey.
- Provision: National Team kit, casual wear, accessories, nutrition and more.
Freshen up ride: Depending on the time you arrive at the World Cycling Centre in Aigle, you might have time for a guided ride with other members of camp.
- Welcome dinner with the entire SUF National Team, Staff and UCI members.
- BIKE CHECK: The UCI's team of elite mechanics will look at your bike and make sure it's ready for the week ahead.
- FITNESS: Fitness test. We’ll undertake an FTP test on Wattbikes in the middle of the World Cycling Center Velodrome. Coach Neal Henderson may or may not have an ‘encouragement’ stick with him.
- KNOWLEDGE: Classroom with Coach Neal: Effective training and recovery with review of Fitness Test data.
- SKILLS: Intro to track riding on the UCI Velodrome.
- INSIGHT: Tour of the UCI World Cycling Centre and dinner with cycling insiders.
- FITNESS: Road ride with riders-in-residence from the UCI World Cycling Centre. Climbing and descending skills workshop.
- KNOWLEDGE: Review of video from descending workshop.
- SKILLS: Introduction to Cyclo-cross.
- INSIGHT: Dinner at local restaurant with cycling insiders.
- FITNESS: Time Trial practice.
- KNOWLEDGE: Preparing for major events (races, sportives, etc.).
- SKILLS: Velodrome riding part II.
- – Free: You’re on your own to explore the region.
- FITNESS: 4 hour INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL mountain loop!
- KNOWLEDGE: The Sports Science behind the Hour Record
- SKILLS: Pedal stroke training and strength training basics
- INSIGHT: Vineyard tour and dinner.
This is truly going to be a mind-blowing day and something even Grunter von Agony will never forget.
- FITNESS: Another 4 hour EPIC mountain ride with handicapped start.
- KNOWLEDGE: Mental training for cyclists
- SKILLS: Introduction to BMX on the Olympic replica track (hey, when else in your life will you learn to ride BMX?).
- INSIGHT: Farewell dinner at Aigle castle (yes, dinner in a castle).
- SO SAD: Farewell breakfast as we all say goodbye and head back to our home countries to brag for the rest of our lives about the amazing experience we all had at SUFCamp.
HERE IS A PAST SUFCAMP HANDBOOK
WHERE IT HAPPENS
BOOK YOUR SPOT NOW
I assure you, this will be one of the most enjoyable weeks of your life. Men and women of all fitness levels and ages are welcome. Most riders are in their late 30s to 60s and do not race - they just love to ride. SUF Camp costs $3,999 USD and you can reserve your place now for $399 USD (Terms & Conditions).
Cost includes: 6 x nights private room at our spa hotel, 5 x dinner, 5 x lunch, 6 x breakfast, all riding and coaching sessions, CX, Track and BMX bike use, cycling kit and casual wear, on-bike nutrition and hydration, full support on rides, transport between camp activities, special guests, service from UCI mechanics and more. Cost does not include travel to/from Aigle, personal insurance, road bike rental (if required).
Questions? Email: David@TheSufferfest.com