Every aspect of The Sufferfest, from our workouts to our training plans, is grounded in the latest advances in sports science. We have the leading minds in the industry developing training resources that are based on solid research, tested in real-world conditions, and proven in the biggest races in the sport. Don’t leave your training to chance. Put the Science of Suffering to work for you and start seeing results.
We’re serious about effective training. That’s why we work with the same coaches who train World, Olympic and National Champions, as well as Tour de France riders and World Hour Record holders. When you do our workouts or follow one of our training plans, you’re following the same approach these coaches use to train professional athletes.
NEAL HENDERSON - Founder of APEX Coaching, member of BMC Pro Cycling Team’s Sports Science Team and coach for the US National Team, Neal is a true ‘coach of the stars.’ He's trained champions like Evelyn Stevens, Taylor Phinney, Rohan Dennis and Flora Duffy, just to name a few. His athletes have won world and olympic titles, set world records and held leaders jerseys in the most prestigious races in the world. The recipient of multiple coaching awards, Neal holds a Masters in Kinesiology and Applied Physiology. Neal is a former Masters US National Champion on the track and a former professional triathlete.
MAC CASSIN - Our own Director of Strategic Suffering, Mac’s work at APEX focuses on masters and junior racers, as well as pioneering research on coaching theory. As an elite cyclist who has to balance the demands of ‘life’ with his athletic goals, Mac has a deep understanding of how to get the most out of those with limited time to train. A member of the US National Team, Mac has raced at the PanAm Games and World Championships and is currently targeting the 2020 Olympic games. He has won several US national and state titles. He holds a degree in Integrative Physiology.
CODY MOORE - Cody joined APEX after serving as an intern during the summer of 2014. Since then, he has coached multiple athletes to first time finishes and PR’s, all the way up to coaching at the professional World Tour and International level. He has a degree from Penn State University in Kinesiology, is a certified USAC level II coach, and a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist through the NSCA. Cody was the Team Manager for Team USA’s Track Cycling Team from 2015-2016, as well as an assistant to the sports science team. In addition to assisting Neal with multiple sport science & coaching initiatives, Cody is also a certified Retul and Body Geometry Bike Fitter.
TRAINING PLANS THAT DELIVER RESULTS
Developed by APEX Coaching, the training plans that come free with your Sufferfest app subscription bring you world-class knowledge, proven methodologies and structure. Available for road, triathlon, MTB, Time Trial and Cyclocross, you’ll get the results you’re looking for. Whether you’re new to cycling or chasing a pro contract, we have a plan for you.
THE BEST OF INSIDE AND OUTSIDE
- Combination of inside and outside sessions for maximum impact, year-round
- Progressive development to effectively build your fitness with minimum volume
- High-intensity interval workouts to increase your endurance, speed, and power
- Cycling drills to enhance form, technique and efficiency
TRAINING BODY AND MIND
The work you do on the bike is just one piece of the puzzle. The Sufferfest / APEX training plans use an integrated approach to transform you into a card-carrying badass, combining:
- Yoga sessions to improve full-body strength and flexibility
- Breathing exercises to boost recovery and focus
- Mental training sessions to build mental toughness
ABOUT THE PLANS
No matter what your skill level or discipline, we have a plan to fit your goals. With new plans added regularly, there’s no longer an excuse to train aimlessly. Stop spinning your wheels and start moving forward.
Our comprehensive road plans will have you dominating the tarmac and crushing the local group ride. Ten-week plans for beginner, intermediate, and advanced riders build all-around fitness, while our targeted three-week speed and climbing plans will transform you into a speed demon or a mountain goat.
- 10-week Novice Plan
- 10-Week Intermediate Plan
- 10-week Advanced Plan
- 3-week Advanced Speed Plan
- 3-week Advanced Climbing Plan
Transition to a faster you and dominate on both land and water. Our triathlon plans offer complete coverage of swim, bike and run workouts, as well as drills to refine your technique across all disciplines. No matter what distance you’re targeting, our 10-week, 12-week and 16-week plans will turn you into a true triple threat.
- 10-week Novice Plan
- 10-week Intermediate Plan
- 12-week Half IM Plan (Coming Soon!)
- 16-week Full IM Plan (Coming Soon!)
Cyclocross: 60-minutes of lung-busting, redlining punishment. The only discipline that rivals the pure, unbridled intensity of a Sufferfest workout. These plans harness the raw power of The Sufferfest into a manageable, easy-to-follow structure so you can get the hole shot and leave your competitors cleaning mud out of their teeth.
- 10-week Novice Plan
- 10-week Intermediate Plan
MOUNTAIN BIKE PLANS
The punchy climbs, intense efforts and long courses that characterize cross-country mountain bike races require a high degree of fitness. The first one across the line is going to be the one who’s capable of delivering across a wide range of efforts. Our XC plan will get you there.
- 10-week Intermediate Plan
WANT A PERSONALIZED TOUCH WITH YOUR TRAINING PLAN? APEX IS HERE TO HELP.
The Sufferfest Training Plans are more than adequate for the vast majority of athletes, but if you want something tailored to your unique needs, APEX Coaching can help. For information on pricing please visit the APEX website.
APEX has several options to accommodate your fitness goals:
LEAD OUT PLAN
The Lead Out Plan gets you a 30 minute Skype consultation with an APEX coach to make some alterations to one of our standard Sufferfest Training Plans. Ideal for Sufferlandrians who:
- Need small tweaks in the schedule, for example you know during weekend 5 of a plan you won’t be able to train. We can alter the days leading in and afterwards so your training is minimally affected.
- Are looking to do a century at the end of a plan and want to add a bit more volume to some weekends. We will identify weekends where it would be appropriate to add that extra training in so you don’t overload yourself.
- Want to make a few (1 to 5) tweaks throughout the plan. If you are looking for more substantial changes then this is not the option for you.
- You can also use this as an additional 30 minute call for any of our other plans.
The Domestique Plan gets you a 30 minute Skype consultation with an APEX coach to make more substantial alterations to one of our standard Sufferfest Training Plans, with the option of having the plan delivered to you through a Basic Training Peaks account.
- Like the basic layout of the Sufferfest Plan but have commitments that will make following the plan difficult.
- Want to use a plan, but have an important race or event in the middle of the plan that you want to be fresh for.
- Have a regular group ride that you want to do every week or weekend and want to make sure the rest of your training takes that into account.
- Want to follow the standard plan but want to have multiple weekend days off from training to spend time with friends/family.
- If you decide you do need to touch base to discuss your plan you can purchase a Lead Out Plan for a 30 minute follow up call to discuss any changes you need to make to your 12 week plan (Limited to 1 call per 6 week period)
RACE DIRECTOR PLAN
Maybe you’ve already made your way through one of the Sufferfest Training Plans and like the way the plans are set up, but want something more personalized. In that case, our 12-week plan will fit you like a new pair of bib shorts. The Race Director Plan gets you two separate 30-minute Skype consultations with an APEX coach and a personalized 12-week plan. How exactly does this work?
- The first 30-minute Skype consultation will be to identify your goals and needs for the following 12 weeks. That includes things like your time available for training each week and what specific aspects of your riding or your fitness you want to focus on. We will then write up a 12-week training plan for you that you can access through a Basic Training Peaks account.
- The second 30-minute Skype consultation will be sometime around the halfway point of your 12 week plan to discuss your progress and to see if modifications need to be made. Maybe you missed a few sessions or got sick and need a few tweaks for the remainder of the plan.
- If you decide you do need and additional follow up call to discuss your plan you can purchase a Lead Out Plan for a 30 minute follow up call and we can discuss any changes you need to make to the remainder of your plan (Limited to 1 call per 6 week period)
EXTENDED SUFFERFEST CYCLING PLAN
You really like the look of the Race Director Plan, but your event is over 4 months out and you want to make sure you make the most of each week between now and then. Or maybe you like the idea of having half a year of training mapped out to keep you motivated and help you stick to your training. Just like the Race Director Plan you get two separate 30-minute Skype consultations with an APEX coach and over 4 months of personalized training.
- The first 30-minute Skype consultation will be to identify your goals and needs for the duration of your plan. That includes things like your time available for training each week and what specific aspects of your riding or your fitness you want to focus on. Your full plan will then be loaded into a Basic TrainingPeaks account.
- The second 30-minute Skype Consultation can take place at any point during your plan. After which we will make any necessary adjustments in TrainingPeaks to your existing plan.
- We do require a minimum of 20 weeks to qualify for a Grand Tour Plan.
- With these plans being so long we understand you might need an additional follow up call to make some adjustments. For an additional 30 minute call and plan tweaks you can purchase a Lead Out Plan (Limited to 1 call per 6 week period).