Customised SUF Training Plans: Your Targets, Your Goals, Your Plan
The Sufferfest training plans are world-class. But sometimes you need a plan that is tailored to your schedule and needs. Maybe you have:
- Specific weeks, days, or hours when you can or can’t ride.
- Times when you can only ride indoors or outdoors.
- A specific goal that's different from those our stock plans are designed around. Maybe you want to lose weight, or become a better climber or...whatever, really!
- Other activities or sports that impact your training.
If that sounds like you, our SUF Coaches—led by Chief Science Offer Neal Henderson—will customise one of our off-the-shelf cycling or multisport training plans for you.
Here's what you get with a customised SUF training plan:
- An online questionnaire so we can get to know you as an athlete and better understand your unique training needs and goals.
- A 30-minute consultation with a SUF Coach to understand what you need the plan to do and what kind of schedule will work best for you.
- Delivery of a customised 12-week training plan via TrainingPeaks within a week of the consultation. You can add yoga, strength training and mental toughness to your plan at no additional charge.
What You Need to Know:
- We'll need a minimum of 10 days after you purchase your plan to deliver it to you. Keep this in mind if you're training for a specific event.
- You'll need a free TrainingPeaks account to access your plan. If you don't have one, we can set it up for you as part of the process.
- Customised SUF training plans use our existing training plans as a framework. They do not include additional interaction with the coach after the initial phone call, nor do they include changes to the plan after delivery. If you're looking for regular contact and feedback from a coach, then hang tight for our one-to-one, personalised SUF Coaching service, launching later this year.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: I'm a Road / Triathlon / Mountain Bike / Cyclocross / Duathlon / Xterra / AquaBike /Pogo Stick racer. Can you customise a plan for me?
A: Absolutely. Except pogo stick racing. You're on your own there.
Q: Do you do plans at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels even if there aren't plans like that in your standard library?
A: Yes. We'll tailor the volume, make-up and intensity of the plan to your fitness level, the time you have to train, and the goal you have in mind.
Q: What do you take into consideration when you design my custom plan?
A: Through a survey and a personal interview, your coach will gather information from you about your age, gender, weight, goals, past training history, past fitness test result, amount of time you can train per week, type of training you prefer, whether you're doing other sports while you're training with the plan, whether you want to do any cross-training, and any specific constraints or preferences you have for times you can or can't train over the duration of your plan.
Q: Are the plans indoor, outdoor, or both?
A: The plans can include indoor only or a mix of indoor and outdoor. Just let us know what you prefer.
Q: Can I define how many run / bike / swim / bricks I do per week for the multisport plan?
A: Yes. During the interview with the coach, you can let them know exactly what you do and don't want to do and they'll build that in to help you get the best results possible.
Q: So if I tell you I don't like riding on Tuesdays, have time to do a long ride on Saturdays, would prefer to yoga once a week, am going on holiday for a week during the plan, don't ever want to ride more than four times a week and really, really, really don't every want to do the Violator workout.....you can build something for me?
A: We sure can. Whatever is important and possible for you will be taken into account when we customise your plan. But, seriously, who doesn't like Violator?
Q: Can I buy a plan that is shorter than 12 weeks?
A: At the moment, no. We only provide plans that are 12 weeks long. Having said that, if, say, you have an event goal in 5 weeks, we'll build the first 5 weeks of your plan toward that goal and then the remaining weeks based on whatever else you'd like to accomplish, whether that's recovery or starting to build toward something else.
Q: Can I buy a plan that is longer than 12 weeks?
A: Yes, but only in 12 week blocks. So if you have, say, an event in 18 weeks, we'll build the first 12 weeks with that goal in mind. Then, at the end of that plan, you'll have another call with your coach to design the second 12 weeks, which would have 6 weeks of leading to your event and the rest of the plans based on what you'd like to accomplish after the event.
Q: I really can't plan more than a few weeks out -- is this going to work for me?
A: Probably not. If you think your situation is going to change frequently and you'll need to change your plan often, then you'd be better off with our personal coaching service, launching later this year (see the last question in this FAQ list for more information on that).
Q: Do I need a premium TrainingPeaks account to use this service?
A: No. A standard, free TrainingPeaks account is fine. If you don't have one yet, we can set one up for you.
Q: Can I follow this plan on Final Surge?
A: We only provide the plan via TrainingPeaks.
Q: Can I talk to a coach during the plan?
A: Unfortunately not. Since this is a customised plan and not one-on-one coaching there is no contact with the coach after you receive the plan. Stay tuned for the release of personalised SUF Coaching later in the year.
Q: How can I talk to my coach after the plan is over to get feedback on my progress?
A: If you buy another 12 week plan the coach will look at your progress and during the 30-minute interview discuss what worked, what didn't and what you'd like to see in your next plan.
Q: What do I do once the plan is over?
A: Get another customised SUF plan, of course.
Q: Tell me more about your upcoming personal coaching service.
A: Our personal SUF Coaching service, launching later in 2019, is for those Sufferlandrians who want the regular contact, feedback and plan adjustments that only a coach can provide. This service, which will be available by quarterly subscription, will most likely include the following every three months:
- Initial questionnaire and personal interview with coach
- New training plan delivered every four weeks based on progress, feedback and your personal schedule.
- Opportunity to provide coach with personal assessment every week.
- Written feedback and guidance from coach every two weeks.
- Personal phone call with coach during week six.